How To Clean Your Range Hood Filter Like A Professional
Your range hood filter is something you think about whenever you cook. If you do not think about it, the chances are that you rarely clean it. If you have not looked at the range hood filter underside, a messy grease build-up will greet you. With that in mind, here is how to clean your range hood filter in your kitchen.
For starters, the hood sits under the filter and is the first line of defense that holds your stove dishes out. Having a clean range hood filter allows the filter to function properly. The article will address issues such as the hood filter function, reasons to clean the filter regularly, and tips for easy cleaning. Read on!
The Range Hood Filter Functions
It is crucial to understand the role of the filter for you to understand the range hood functions. The range hood is responsible for pulling odors and steam through the filter. It cleans and clears the air. It is the filter that accumulates food particles and grease and prevents the vent from clogging. It also protects the surrounding walls and prevents yellowing of the wall, thanks to the smoke, grease, moisture, and steam.
Dangers of a Blocked Filter Having a blocked filter poses a health hazard and it’s annoying. For instance, the smoke alarm could go off frequently when the smoke builds up during cooking. Your food might acquire the smoky smell when the smoke permeates the room. Getting rid of the food particles and the annoying smell in the room also takes days to clear. Additionally, the food particles will attract cockroaches and other pests.
Cleaning the Filter- How Regular Should It Be For starters, cleaning your range hood filter regularly saves you the hassle of replacing the filter very often. You should get it cleaned regularly, say once or twice annually, to avoid a build-up that causes blockage of proper air flow. Get rid of the grease and other pollutants before it becomes difficult to clean.
How to Clean Range Hood Filter Some people will clean their range hood filters regularly compared to others. There are different cleaning techniques based on the level of dirt. You will not need to use any harsh chemicals regardless of the dirt level. Fortunately, all you need for the cleaning process are readily available in your kitchen.
You will need:
- Using extremely hot water
- Baking soda
- Heatproof container
- Degreasing soap dish
- Scrub brush- should be non-abrasive
The Cleaning Process Elaborated
1. Removing the filter Fortunately, it is easy to remove most of the filters by sliding or popping them from the range hood’s underside. For others, you might need to push the filter upwards for it to slide outwards. Look for the latch or loop that enables you to remove it with ease.
2. Preparation to clean The heat proof container comes in handy. You can use a pot, or the sink as long it will withstand the extremely hot water. Find something that can comfortably hold the filter, one end at a time. However, do not use a non-stick pot or it will scratch. Fill the vessel with the boiling water so that it breaks down the grease.
3. Soak and clean the filter Add some dish soap and a ¼ cup of baking soda. It will fizz and bubble. Give the solution a thorough mix. Soak in the range hood filter for 10 minutes minimum. Scrub with a non-abrasive scrub to remove any stubborn stain and the crevices too,
4. Rinsing and replacing the filter Remove the filter from the hot water and rinse it off. Dry it off completely before replacing the filter.
Clean Greasy Range Hood Filters! How to Clean Your Stove Hood – Video
It is important to regularly clean your range hood filter so that it functions as it should. Having a dirty and grease filter attracts pesticide and affects the air quality in your home. Fortunately, how to clean your range hood should not be an up-heaving task. All that is needed is a few ingredients and cleaning materials available in your kitchen. Lastly, the process requires no harsh chemicals and takes very little time.
Let us know if you found the tutorial useful. Please comment, like, and share the article with others!
Images Source: Amazon.com