Are you noticing something funny with your air conditioner in terms of performance? Naturally, after installing your window air conditioner, the performance will start going down after some time. That does not mean you bought a sub-standard air conditioner, it simply indicates it’s time to clean it. The air conditioner fins and coils get clogged after a while hence you need to clean it regularly for proper functioning. Many people don’t prioritize air conditioner cleaning and the cleaning might be done once or twice a year. You might have a challenge when it comes to removing the air conditioner from the window and then install it back after cleaning which is very tedious. Removing the air conditioner before cleaning is now a thing of the past, you can successfully clean your unit easily.
The same way you treat other home or office appliances should be the same way you treat your air conditioner. There is no doubt that you clean your office or house almost on a daily basis. Your air conditioner might not need that much cleaning but doing it at least twice a month will be a great idea. There are various benefits that you will enjoy cleaning your window air conditioner regularly, and the benefits are as follows;
- A clean air conditioner ensures you are breathing clean air in your office or house hence reduce the cases of lung disorders like allergies or asthma. The indoor air quality that you breathe plays an essential role in your health. Dirty air conditioner filters will feed you with unhealthy indoor air hence end up suffering from respiratory diseases which might be very expensive to treat.
- Cleaning your window air conditioner will enable you to save some cash that you would have used to pay the electricity bills. A clean air conditioner is very efficient and will cool your house within a very short time hence there will be no need to keep it on all day long. If you notice the performance of your air conditioner is going down then that’s the first indicator and you should clean it soon if possible.
- Clogged and dirty air conditioner filters force the machine to strain once you put it on and can damage the whole device. Servicing and keeping the air conditioner clean will improve its lifetime hence you will enjoy the value for your money in the long run. The damages on the air conditioners that force you to spend a lot of money to repair them, are a result of dirty, and clogged filters. Forget about maintenance costs or purchasing air conditioners now and then by just cleaning the device regularly.
- A clean air conditioner keeps your office or houses clean, and conducive. Imagine being in a clean office and the air you are breathing is dusty, that makes you very uncomfortable. A clean and neat house or office can be spoiled by a dirty window air conditioner. The effects of a dirty air conditioner on your health are many and the basic one includes the unending flue.
You don’t need to hire experts to clean your hair conditioner since you can easily do it at home unless you need someone to service the device. The ways of cleaning your window air conditioner will depend on how regularly you clean it. For instance, if you clean the air conditioner twice per year then the work involved will be more. Those who clean the device daily will not have to spend a lot of time cleaning it. Before the cleaning process here is what you need to clean your air conditioner properly
- Tap water
- Dry towel
- Detergent or soap solution
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Bucket of water
- Spray bottle
After you assemble what you need now follow the following procedure;
1. If you clean your conditioner daily
As mentioned earlier the method of cleaning your window air conditioner depends on the frequency at which you clean the device. If you clean your air conditioner every day, here is the procedure;
- Fill the spray bottler with the hydrogen peroxide first then turn off the air conditioner and then spray the intake area gently. Remember to protect yourself from inhaling the hydrogen peroxide while spraying since it’s very harmful to your health. Always clean your hands after spraying the device even if you had the protective gloves.
- Allow the air conditioner to dry before putting it on again. If you can clean it at night it will be better so that when you wake up the device is ready to use. Ensure that the air conditioner dries properly after spraying before turning it on.
- In case you notice spraying did not clean the filters well then consider deep cleaning which includes removing the filter and spraying the unit further. You can consider cleaning the filters using a wet towel and the unit as well. Now fix the air conditioner filter to its position and give the device time to dry. Avoid putting the air conditioner on before it dries up since condensation of the hydrogen peroxide can damage the unit.
2. Monthly cleaning
If you decide you will be cleaning your window air conditioner monthly, then be ready to do a thorough cleaning. The air conditioner will have accumulated a lot of dirt and dust and only proper cleaning will be the solution. First, make sure the unit is off before you start cleaning. Below is the cleaning procedure;
- To access the filter, remove the front panel of your air conditioner. Majority of air conditioner brands, the front panel contains tabs or screws for proper attachment to the unit. Filters are always fixed in the slot inside the unit, but check the user manual to guide you on how to remove the filters smoothly.
- Dip the towel inside the detergent or soap solution then clean the filter or run the filter through running water. You can also use hot water to clean the filters, and the front panel. In case the filter is caked with grime or dirt consider using a vacuum hose to remove the dirt cover.
- Allow the filter to dry and thereafter return it to its position. You can shake off the excess water or wipe it with a dry towel. Do not place the filter to its position in the unit unless it dries completely. Don't put the unit on when the filter is wet or before you return the filter to its place, you risk damaging the whole unit. If the front panel seems damaged, you can replace it with a new one since it can interfere with the effectiveness of your air conditioner.
- Replace the worn-out filter too for a proper functioning of your unit. The filters are made for specific brands hence don’t make a mistake of purchasing another brands filter to install in your air conditioner. Always ensure you purchase the filter from the same manufacturer who offers the air conditioner brand you are using. It’s advisable to clean your window air conditioner at least once a month to keep it in good condition.
3. Seasonal cleaning
Washing your air conditioner seasonally is not advisable since you will be exposing your device to more damages, but if the situation forces you to there is no problem. Here you now need to do a deep cleaning to remove all the dirt and dust that might have clogged the filters and other unit surfaces.
- Remove the unit case, but first ensure it’s disconnected from the power. Remove all the screws gently before taking out the front panel. Start by cleaning the case first using hot water, and detergent solution mixture. Use a wet small towel to remove all the dirt and dust covering the surfaces. Remove the filter too, and consider using the user manual to guide you if it's your first time to open the air conditioner.
- Use a soft brush to remove the dust covering the aluminum fins, make sure put on protective gloves since the fins can cut you if not careful. Spray the fins and the coils until the surfaces are clean. Next is the filters, clean them properly using a wet towel or dip in the bucket for easy cleaning. Wipe the whole unit down the tray with a wet towel and wait for the surfaces and filters to dry before putting them back.
- You can wipe the surfaces with a dry towel and speed up the drying process and consider replacing any worn out parts. Don’t put on the unit before you return all the parts such as filters and the front panel. Use the user manual in case you are stuck while returning the front case or the filters back to their slot.
A clean window air conditioner translates to a clean indoor air, and eventually better respiratory health. The above strategies will help you clean your window air conditioner without removing it from the wall. Kindly, remember to follow the procedure keenly to avoid damaging your unit. In case the air conditioner develops any problem after cleaning, reach out to an expert to help you out.